The world’s first service club was founded on 23 February 1905 when lawyer Paul Harris and three friends met in a small office in downtown Chicago. They named their new club “Rotary” to describe the practice of meeting in rotation at the members’ various places of business. During the 1911-1912 Rotary year, the association became international. Over time, Rotary’s reach and vision gradually extended to humanitarian service.
The Rotary Club of Lakewood was chartered in October of 1954. Since the club’s inception, service above self ignited interested members and engaged its membership base. The history of Rotary International and the Rotary Club of Lakewood meld together a lesson in community and international service for the betterment of all people.
73 Things About Lakewood Rotary recognizes and appreciates the creation of the Rotary Club of Lakewood in 1954 and provides 19 historical factoids about the Rotary Club of Lakewood and 54 lessons on Rotary International.